Question

White Nails
Dear Doc,

I was just wondering, my nails have a white nail tip (looks like I had a french manicure), white-blueish nail bed, pink "half moon" line just under the nail tip, and only have a white half moon on the bottom of my nail bed on my thumbs. I also have very short nail beds. One women that works in a heatlh shop suggested that I should check myself out for cirrhosis or there may be some other trouble with my liver. My nails always looked like this. I also have very fine hair. I take a mult-vitamin and Silica daily.

Dear Reader
This is almost certainly not a sign of cirrhosis, especially as the nails have looked like this for a long time. This not a sign of any nutritional deficiency. It is possible that you might have psoriasis, or lichen planus or some other skin disorder and I would suggest that you consult a Dermatologist, who will also advise you on your hair problem.