Question

why do x's contact x's
my question is why do x's contact their x's when the x has moved on with their lives? is it because they have not gotten over the x? is it because they really and truly still think about that person and what they had? in alot of cases an x will phone an x and ask how they are yet they have not seen the x or interacted with them in years so why would it matter to them. why does an x contact an x when they are also meant to be involved and apparently happy in a relationship.

Obviously nobody has properly studied this issue, but I'd suspect that it's the x who hasn't moved on successfully who contacts his/her x, having not gotten over it. But even leaving aside x's, don't we all at times get reminded of an old pal we haven't contacted for many years, and feel like calling them up to see how they are ?