Question

why is this bugging me?
My ex and I parted ways before he went travelling 2 months ago. However he wanted to stay in contact and he told me I must not cut him off. When he was away, I was in contact with him and was even making plans to go and visit him. I wrote him a heart wretching e-mail saying how much I miss him, etc, etc... however he never replied to it.
2 weeks ago, a friend of mine for over 2 years and I decided to get together. I havent spoken to my ex since but I know that he is back in the country since the weekend. He has made no attempt to contact me and I find it strange as he was the one who said we must not cut ties. I have moved on so I dont know why this is bugging me. How I can I just forget him and focus on my new boyfriend?

This is why people talk about Closure - neither of you have closed this book. However amicable the parting, what's over needs to stop, or neither of you will manage to move on, as you need to do.