Question

30 Oct 2006

Why this reaction?
I've become relatively fit by doing a walk/run programme on the treadmill. In the 9th week now, and I definitely feel the difference when walking fast, climbing stairs, etc. However, over the weekend, I had to assist in sawing through quite a thick log. I thought I was going to keel over, I was so tired, and I even got heart palpatations. I also got a bit dizzy, but that may have been due to standing bent over for quite a while. Does it require a different type of cardiovascular fitness to saw than to walk or run? If yes, how do I get an "overall" fitness, when only being able to train at home? I'm a woman of 49.

Hi Val

It does, absolutely, and I suspect that it's probably related to posture (being bent over while sawing), and the effect that it has on blood pressure. Remember, that when you are sawing, you are doing a pretty static exercise form - it's not like running or walking, but more like resistance training, or lifting weights. If you are not used to that, then it can cause some problems with your blood pressure, which would certainly explain the dizziness. The fatigue is simply because you were using muscles that are not used to the movement or the exertion - quite what causes this feeling of exhaustion is a mystery, it's the million dollar question, but it's just that the muscles are not trained for the activity they are doing. So it's nothing to worry about, it just means that if you want to become a good lumberjack, you have a good deal of training to do! Jokes aside, it's just a case of appreciating what we call specificity of training, which means that you become fit for the activity or type of activity that you are doing in training.

Keep up the good work!

Ross