Question

will I lose weight
Dear doc,

I have about 25 kilo's to lose - and was wondering if the following diet will help me lose weight. I am 35 years old, female, and 1.64m - My BMI is about 30. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode, and want to lose about 1kg per week.

morning
60grams all bran flakes/ or 200g cooked oats
150ml milk
medium fruit

snack
low fat joghurt 175ml

lunch

2 slices brown bread
tomato
slice of ham
1 packet cup a soup
salad and low fat dressing

snack
fruit

dinner
150g haddock fish
200g veggies
100g potato/ or 100g rice / 100g pasta
margarine for frying fish

snack
peach

Thank you very much

Dear Yolandie
You will probably lose weight on this diet, but I would add another 1-2 cups of fat-free milk or 1 cup of cottage cheese to ensure that you obtain sufficient calcium (1000 mg per day) for the requirements of an adult woman. You may find it useful to check out the slimming diets on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet') and compare them to what you are proposing to eat. I would also not use fried fish, but rather prepare the fish by poaching or steaming or grilling to reduce fat intake. Keep in mind that by adding daily aerobic exercise to your diet, you will make better progress. Try running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life and exercise for at least 30 min a day.