Question

wkend cravings a 'killer'
i have been on a strict LOW GI diet (by eating yoghurts, SHAPE meal replacement, LOW GI seed bread, fish, chicken, fruit & veg, limited amounts of pasta & rice) for the past 7 months and have managed to lose 19kg, with about 4/5kg to go til my goal. having 'cheated' a few times, yes.
I do spinning classes (45min) 4 times per week and do other cardio and weighs (20 - 45min) for the remaining 2 or 3 days per week, <effectively training for 6 or 7 days a week>
i feel very fit and healthy but recently on the weekends, i've been craving "bad" or HIGH GI foods, i would feel like toast with peanut butter & strawberry jam, big bowl of rice krispies, white bread rolls / buns (which i NEVER eat) and so, eventually i give in... ;o( making me feel worthless and disgusted... of course, this prevents me from losing more weight that week...
so my cycle starts again on monday morning.. back to LOW GI diet 101.
WHY do i get these cravings ? and what can i do, not to give in to them.. ?
I have also had low blood pressure, which causes a fainting, dizzy feeling when i get up and breathlessness during extreme spinning classes. my GP has just did blood test to test if i perhaps don't have underactive thyroid.
someone said perhaps my metabolism is raised and that's why i crave ?
dietdoc, can you please advise me on what's going on?
thank you

Dear Jax
Firstly, congratulations for losing those 19 kg, you are a shining ***star***. This is stunning achievement and something you should feel justly proud of. The reason why your developing cravings is that your diet lack low GI carbs. Carbohydrates are the very best fuel for your body and if you eat low GI carbs you will not gain weight, but the cravings will disappear and you will not get dizzy and breathless or feel faint when you exercise so intensively. I don't know where you obtained your low GI diet, but if you saw a dietitian, then go back and ask him/her to adjust the diet to allow for the great deal of intensive exercise you do every week (no wonder you are knocked out!). Once you are eating more carbs (and even using a high-energy drink during and after exercise to fuel your activity), you should stop feeling so helpless. The peanut butter with a slice of toast is low GI, and if you add fat-free milk or yoghurt to your cereal it becomes low GI too. Eat the withe bread and buns with lean meat or cottage cheese plus a salad with a vinegar dressing and it too becomes low GI. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI to see how it really works. Also click on ‘Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on "Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp the ones on carbohydrates and carbo-loading.