Ask an expert
Question

01 Aug 2006

WORK RELATED DILEMMA
Hi Doc

an ex colleague that I used to work with in the past has done very well for himself and is now a GM in a bank and he is now looking for people to join his team.

My agency just called me now to tell me about this and I will be going to see the guy on Friday. Due to the fact that he knows that I am a hard worker and I know my job, its looks like this job could be mine. Should he make me an offer I will defnatley accept.I have not been particularly happy here and was just begining to look for something else.

Now here's the dilemma. My company after a lot of fighting on my part has just agreed to send me on a course in the Uk for 2 weeks and the secretary is busy making the necessary arrangements for this. the way I had to fight for the trip actually took the fun and excitiment of me going to the UK. At one point I even consireded not going but I thought hey why make it easy for them. so now they agreed to it. Should I get the job I will obviously have to resign and serve notice effective 1sept since I would need to give one calender month notice.

Obvioulsy the UK trip will have to be cancelled and the company may not be able to recover all its money particularly on the tuition fee. cancelling flights and hotel should not be a problem, I know they are going to hate me for this after the grief I gave them. But their response to my request for the trip in the 1st place,showed me that they dont necessarily have my best interest at heart. the course is in sept.

So how do I handle this delicate situation as I dont necessarily want to leave on bad terms.Not accepting the new job-should it be offered ,is not an option.

Also even if I dont get this particular job, I will still be looking for a new one, which could come anytime. I feel it will be even worse for me to go to the Uk and one or two months down the line I resign. I think they will hate me more for this than if they just loose a portion of the money.

So I am thinking of not going to Uk at all- I will make some excuse to get out of it. Obvioulsy they will all be shocked by this since I fought so much to go.But under the circumstances I think this is the only option available to me. Any thougths.
Answer 410 views
Expert
CyberShrink
cybershrink

01 Jan 0001

PResumably you will want to be certain of the new job offer before deciding this. Is it possible that you could arange with your friend to start with him at his bank a bit later in the year, after you return from the UK ? But that wouldn't be fair to your present employers, and as your complaint against them and your explanation for leaving, is that they were unfair to you, don't spoil the purity of your complaint and axplanation, and better to treat them fair, to establish that all along you were after fairness, not merely personal advantage.
And as Garfield says, maybe if you tell them early enough, they could send someone else to the UK, instead ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.