Question

19h ago

Work Troubles for Boyfriend
Hey,

I am a white girl going out with a coloured guy. He works in a shop with 3 other people, two guys and his female boss. They are very racist and it drives me crazy! They don' t like it when a white girl goes out with a black/indian/coloured guy (but I' m ok being my boyfriend works with them). They carry on with their racist ways right infront of my boyfriend as if he' s one of them. How should he handel the situation? He' s too much of a softy to take them to task but it does bug him. Considering the one guy' s father is gay I don' t think they should be so discriminating and judgemental. Should he lay an anon. complaint? Should I, as a customer, complain? It does affect him at work because the one guy REFUSES to help black/coloured/indian people and my boyfriend runs up and down helping them and by the end of the day he is exhusted because he' s had to help ' X'  amount of people because of this other co-workers attitude. Should we go to hellopeter.com?

Its not only racial and cultural differences that cause such busybodies to be, well, busy. They work under a delusion that how other people live, and who other people love, is somehow THEIR business. Everyone is judgemental, and we feel nothing wrong with it when we are being the judghes, rather than the judged.
Maybe you should discuss this with a lawyer. His private life out of office hours is none of their business at all ; but if their racism and unpleasantness is during working hours, there may be action that can be taken, perhaps via the Human Right Commision, etc., to remind them that this is unacceptable. And if indeed these pathetic little people are refusing to serve non-white customers, then I'm sure something could be done. Is this an individual shop, or one that belongs to a major chain ? IF the latter, take this directly to their head office, and they will see the need to intervene.
I don't know whether hellopeter is useful in such a case, having no experience of that