Question

WORMS
Hi there

My baby is 2 and half. We have been de-worming her every six months since 18 months old. Please advise if there are known signs of worms. What should we be looking for? Some people say, children that scratch in their noses all the time is a sign of worms.

Thank You

Shaadie, you don’t have to de-worm your child every six months. I don’t know about scratching your nose, but scratching on the other side of your body (peri-anal) is a common symptom. A small child that doesn’t pick up weight should also awaken one’s suspicion of worms. Other symptoms may include abdominal cramps, distension and flatulence, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, weight loss and anaemia.
I wrote something on worms a while ago and if you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za, I’ll send you a copy. Good luck.