Question

Worms in pregnancy
I am 28 weeks pregnant, and think I may be infected with large roundworms as my 21 month old baby is infected. We are busy deworming her, but have been informed that I am not to take any medication for deworming. What will the effect of infection by worms be on my unborn child if I am infected, and will the infection become worse? I am very concerned about this and can hardly believe that such a common infection cannot be treated during pregnancy. Please help.

The treatment for worms is harmful in pregnancy. You don't know that you are infected, so you certainly should not think of treating yourself just in case. Even if you did have worms, these would not affect the pregnancy. Many people have worms for months with no symptoms,so it is not critical to treat it straight away. If you do develop any symptoms like diarrhoea, consult your doctor again.