Question

Worried about child&#39 s weight
Hello,

My daughter is 8 and already weighs 46.5 kilograms. She is not excesively tall for her age either. I would like to do something about it without it becoming an issue for her. She attends after school and gets fed there. The menu is as follows Mon. French toast, chesse, syrup. Tues: spaghetti and mince, Weds: Hamburgers with polony, Thur: Pizza, Fri: hotdog.
The problem I have is that she tends to eat on the sly and pinches money for tuck shop.
I feel I have no control over the situation, and as a result she is already wearing a lady' s size 10.
I am also worried about diabetes as she carries most, if not all, of her weight around her stomach (middle).
She also does not know when to stop eating.
Please help with any suggestions.
Kind regards
Jeanne

Dear Jeanne
Your lassie is indeed very overweight because children of 14 years should weigh 46.5 kg, not ones of 8 years. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you plan a low-fat diet for your daughter that will help her to lose weight while still providing all the nutrients she needs for normal growth. I also think that you and the other parents who are paying for your children to stay after school should make a concerted effort to get the menu changed to a healthier one. This is something the dietitian can also help you with. Finally it is important to help your child to get as active as possible. Take her for walks, enrol her in a swimming class - anything to get her active as experts agree that daily physical activity is one of the best ways of helping obese children to lose weight.