Ask an expert

27 Jan 2009

Worried about InLaws volatile marriage
Hi Doc, my brother and sister-in-law have a very volatile marriage. They' ve both had affairs, have split up a few times, but keep getting back together. They fight constantly and are verbally abusive to each other. Last week, my niece (11) phoned in tears, asking me to fetch her and her sister (6) because mom and dad were fighting and it became physical. I did fetch them and tried to not get too involved other than that (It' s come back to bite us on previous occasions).
My husband and I are very concerned for the children. They are clearly being traumatised by their parents'  behaviour. We' ve asked the parents to go for counselling, but they refuse. We don' t want to come across as judging them, but want them to get help for the sake of the kids. What can we do without estranging them?
Answer 324 views

01 Jan 0001

It is abusive for paents to fight in front of their children, and to refuse to accept their so obvious need for marriage counselling is not only stupid but damaging to their children. Maybe a discrete word to the Child Welfare authorities might bring pressure on them to stop acting more childishly than their children, and start learning how to be adults. Don't worry so much about estranging them ( a close relationship with them otherwise risks supporting their bad behaviours and worsenning the situation ) and concentrate on helping the children to get rescued from these two big kids squabbles
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18602 votes