Question

Worried about lumpy breasts.
Hi, I’m 19 years old, and female. I’m a little worried about my breasts, because they feel rather lumpy. I read through all the symptoms of breast cancer on this site, and I show NO other symptoms. My breasts just feel lumpy, and that’s it. I’m generally VERY healthy; I eat very healthily, I don’t smoke, and I don’t drink alcohol, and plus, I just turned 19 a few weeks ago. There is also no history of breast cancer in our family, and it really seems like I am not in the risk zone at all. What are breasts supposed to feel like? Is this lumpy feeling normal?

I’m afraid that you might tell me it’s highly unlikely that I have breast cancer, but that I should still get it checked out… Please tell me if it isn’t necessary, because I really don’t want to. Please tell me what breasts are supposed to feel like, and if I have reason to be worried. Thank you.

Ann, it’s unlikely that there is anything wrong with your breasts. At your age your breasts are supposed to be firm and a little “lumpy”. If you feel a hard discrete nodule that is stuck to the surrounding tissues, you have reason to worry. I wrote something on breat examination a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.