Question

Worries about my mum
Hi Doc.

My had a full masectomy 16 years ago. She has for the last few months being battling with the use of her right hand. She is at a point where she has not feeling in her right palm and cannot use the hand. She has been back and forth to numerous doctors. She had an op on her right wrist as she was told she has carpel tunnel syndrome. This op did not help. She then when to have a nerve conduction test done. she recently went for an MRI and was told that there is a mass that has grown in the area were she had the masectomy done. She had a specialiced scan done to test if it is cancerous and the results came back as negative. Her surgeon that had done the masectomy has now put her on tablets to try to shrink this mass that has grown as they cannot operate to remove it as it is lying directly on arteries. She has to take these tablets for three months and then repeat the MRI. However, she cannot still use this hand. She has alos been for physio and this did not help much.

Can you please advise as to which direction we should go. Right now we dont know what to do and it hurts to see her like.

thanks

Hi Desert
I don't think there is much you can do right now except be patient and give the medicine some time to shrink the mass - it is probably pressing on the nerve and causing the weakness ( much like when you lie on your arm and it becomes numb or "dead")They will probably have to operate to remove it when it is smaller to relieve the pressure and will then probably send a sample to the lab to confirm 100% that it is not cancerous. Exercise etc won't really help at this stage. It may help her to get a wrist splint which may make her hand more usable - she probably has weakness of the wrist at the moment.