Question

You should not do weight/resistance training until you reach your goal weight
Dear Fitness Doc

I have a hormonal condition which has caused my weight to increase by 20kg in the last two years. Fortunately, I am quite tall and I was also slighly underweight to begin with so the weight gain is not very noticable.
I have managed to stabalise the weight gain by maintaining a healthy eating plan and by exercising regularly but I now have unwanted cm's and am battling to tone and firm up the excess flab.

I have been told that I should avoid both weight training and resistance training until I have reached my goal weight/or ideal size; that until I reach my goal I should only be doing cardio training to burn away the unwanted cm's.

The theory behind this seemed to be to the effect that once you start to build muscle it is a lot more difficult to burn away unwanted fat/cm; especially in the stomach area and triceps.

How accurate is this?

What is the best way for me to lose the extra cm; should I focus more on cardio?
Should I eliminate resistance training for a while until I have lost the unwanted cm's?
I am more concerned about losing the unwanted centimeteres and toning my body than worrying about the scale.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Beginner Trainer

Hi there

The advice you have received has no scientific basis and I would advise very differently. You should be doing both cardio and resistance training. I suggest you go to the home page and click on Shape up for Summer (home-based) or War on Wobbles (gym-based), to get an idea of a really comprehensive exercise programme.

Realise that when you do resistance training, you build lean tissue whichis muslce tissue, whichgives you shape. Also lean tissue burns up more tissue than fat tissue, therefore actually boosts you metabolic rate.

Good luck.