Question

Your not alone
Dear DietDoc, I did a search on your archive on underactive thyroid and was shocked to see the amount of emails on the subject. Every email I read was as if I had written it myself. In 1985 my thyroid was removed because of a malignent tumour. I was 17 at the time and since then I have picked up over 40kg in extra weight. Yes, much of it was due to bad habits which I have been trying very hard to change. I stopped smoking 3 months ago, I cycle 4 times a week and I have now started weight training. I have in the past few months read many articles on diets etc and have come to the conclusion that I can "diet" until I'm blue in the face but those dreaded kilos will only disappear with exercise. It is an uphill battle and not always easy. Even though I have wonderful support from family and friends, in the end it is only I who can make a difference. Coping with all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid is hell!! So, to all those fellow suffers out there. Remember that you are not alone, somewhere out there someone is going through the same private hell your going through.

Dear Mrs Flintstone
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me and the readers. The thyroid gland is often compared to "the conductor' of the orchestra of the body. If one has problems with either under or over-activity, then it can be very tricky to regain one's equilibrium. Are you on thyroid hormone replacement therapy? This does help in many cases to prevent weight gain. Try using a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a free copy) together with the exercise and see if this does not shift those kgs.
Good luck and keep up the good work