Question

Zyban vs. Paxil
Greetings, on this cold morning.

I am a smoker and want to stop. I read that Zyban is a good method to aid me with the withdrawal symptoms. However, I am on Paxil and now I am wondering if Zyban is a substitute for Paxil.... can I stop the Paxil and go on Zyban for my depression?

I also read that Zuban has less side effects like weight gain and libido problems.... sounds like a bonus to me. I would very much like to go onto Zyban and stop the Paxil.

Thank you very much.
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi C

Zyban, or rather its active ingredient, is indeed also a very effective antidepressant (It is marketed under the brandname Wellbutrin for treatment of depression).

I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about a potential switch AND HOW TO DO SO SAFELY.

All the best!