Ask an expert

27 Apr 2004

Missing tampon
I had in a tampon, and now I can't find it. It was there. I tried to find it, but I can't. Is that possible? I am really worried about it. It was in for about one day. Please help.

Answer 362 views

01 Jan 0001

A tampon cannot get lost in your body. The vagina is a potential space that can expand, and the tampon can get lodged near the back. It will remain there until you find it. It seems as though the string may have become twisted behind the tampon, or pushed way back in the vagina, making it difficult to reach.

When this happens, it takes some time for the vagina to relax and change position so that the tampon will return to its usual place, or at least to a more accessible location. Try "fishing around" for the tampon or string with your clean index finger. If you're not able to find it, try asking a partner.

Otherwise, see your health care provider. Explain the situation, and tell her/him that you are concerned about the loss, the odour, and toxic shock syndrome (TSS) [see postscript below for more information]. As a last resort, you can go to the emergency room. It is important to do this not only to regain peace of mind, but because the tampon will begin to smell bad, and, ultimately, because there may be a small risk of infection, including TSS.

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)

Toxic Shock Syndrome is a rare, but life-threatening, bacterial infection that affects between one and seventeen menstruating women per 100,000. Studies have shown that using the super plus tampons, and leaving tampons in the vagina for long amounts of time, increase the risk of developing TSS. Symptoms include a sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, fainting, dizziness, or a sunburnlike rash. To minimize the risk of TSS, wash your hands before inserting a tampon, change your tampon every four to six hours (especially on heavy flow days), and use the lowest absorbency tampon that is reasonable given the amount of your menstrual flow.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20204 votes