Ask an expert

18 Feb 2003

No more vrigin- Concerned
I've taken the step to finally break my virginity. My boyfriend was a bit rough on me, and I blead profusely. The problem is, the bleeding has not yet stopped, and it's the second day. Is this normal, what should i do?
Answer 423 views

01 Jan 0001

It is normal for some women to bleed after having sexual intercourse for the first time. Bright red in colour, the bleeding is caused by stretching of the hymen until it tears. If the bleeding continues, it will turn dark red and trail off until it stops, typically within a few days.

If a woman is penetrated with fingers and experiences bleeding, there are a few causes. If she's a virgin, it's likely that her hymen has been torn. It's also possible that her vaginal walls have been scraped by her partner's fingernails, in which case it's important for her to be examined and get treatment so that she does not develop a vaginal infection.

In either case, a woman needs to see a health care provider for a check-up if:
bleeding is significant (is heavier than the first couple of days of her period, is constant, and/or soaks through a tampon and a pad)
bleeding persists for more than a few days
there is pain that does not get better
she is worried about anything regardless (for some peace of mind)

In order to heal, it's important not to have any vaginal penetration (no penises, fingers, tampons, etc.) and orgasm until after the bleeding has completely stopped. If bleeding returns after vaginal penetration or orgasm has resumed, then go to a health care provider for a check-up.

While it's highly likely that the bleeding is in response to a sexual act, it's also quite possible that it may not be related. If the bleeding starts out as dark, rather than bright, red in colour, then there may be bleeding from the cervix or higher up in the uterus. This is not normal after first sexual intercourse and needs to be looked at by a health care provider as soon as possible.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.