Ask an expert

15 Sep 2008

Pain during intercourse

Every time me and my boyfriend have sex he can'  t push too hard or try any position other than the normal on top positions because it is too painful.

I have heard about endometriosis and was wondering if this could be the case.

If my boyfriend pushes too hard I get a very sharp pain and it hurts bad. Also when he is on top and tries too lift my bud somewhat I feel the same pain.

What is endometriosis and could this be a result of this condition? If not, what can it be?

Answer 368 views

01 Jan 0001

Whilst endometriosis is one of the causes of pain during sex, it is by no means the only cause. Superficial pain (pain on entry) can be caused by a number of things including: Infection, vaginal dryness (following menopause, childbirth or inadequate sexual stimulation before penetration), Vaginismus (an involuntary contraction of the muscles surrounding the opening of the vagina, that makes it difficult, extremely painful or impossible to allow vaginal entry of the penis), or other medical conditions. Deep pain, felt deep inside during thrusting may be due to: an infection or problem with your reproductive organs, or endometriosis.

I would recommend that you go for a check up - preferably by a gynaecologist .
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19965 votes