Ask an expert

17 Feb 2003

Semen problems
Hello CyberDoc. For a while now I have been noticing inconsistencies in the texture of my sperm. It is generally very fluid as it should be, but I have noticed small clumps and semi-solid, jelly like globules within it. Is this normal or not? What sort of profeesional help should I get? Must I have a fertility test done? I have never suffered from any STDs and have been in a faithful single partner relationship for 2 years now.
Answer 1,300 views

01 Jan 0001

You can send a Semen sample to the laboratory for Semen Analysis, but you must have a doctor that can interpret the results. So best to see your GP and discuss the problem. There are many reasons why semen can alter its consistency. The most common antecedents are changes in diet, change in exercise, or a change in tightness of clothing around the genitals (tight pants or briefs). Exercising and wearing tight clothing can increase the heat of the scrotum, changing sperm motility and potentially, semen consistency as well. If you were also experiencing a discharge, or pain with urination then it would advisable to get tested for sexually transmitted infections. However, change in semen consistency on its own is not considered abnormal or dangerous. Keep talking to your GP if you continue to be concerned.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20240 votes