Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Apr 2004
STD from prostitute
How easy is it to catch an STD such as genital warts or genital herpes if one had been with a prostitute and practiced safe sex? Can one catch these diseases through exchange of saliva or vaginal fluids? Thank you.
We may be having differing opinions of safe sex, so I better clarify. Safer sex is being sexually intimate without exchange of bodily fluids, blood, semen OR vaginal fluids. Very few, if any sexually transmitted infection (STIs) are transmittable through saliva, so that should reduce your worries about kissing, or oral sex on a man with no ejaculation (or pre-ejaculate for that matter). However, oral sex on a woman without a barrier is NOT a safer sex activity. You can definitely "catch" genital warts or herpes, and potentially even HIV in this way. Next time, cut open a condom and put it over your partner's labia, or use non-microwaveable plastic wrap or a dam when giving oral pleasure to your prostitute.
Dr Elna McIntosh
Dr Elna McIntosh
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Are chemicals shrinking your penis and depleting your sperm? Here’s what the evidence really says
- ‘We have to be alert, not alarmed’ says KRISP director about B.1.617 variant identified in India
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Rare neurological condition linked to Covid infection in 21 countries
- THE ESKOM FILES | Flashy Eskom exec 'still owes us about a million bucks' says Pretoria builder
- US support on Covid-19 vaccine patents: This is how it happened
- SATURDAY PROFILE | From Sudan to SA: One man's journey from being called a spy to becoming a doctor
- Late interim leader’s son Misuzulu named Zulu king
- Did 'Vermeulen 4 Vunipola 0' influence Lions' selection shock?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20218 votes