Ask an expert

16 Oct 2008

Dear Doc,

I have had pain in my right shoulder for quite some time. The pain initially started in my shoulder so I just assumed that I had pulled a muscle or tendon. The pain now seems to be spreading into my neck, jaw, down my arm and I have " pins &  needles"  in my hand.

I have visited a phyiso therapist who seems to think this might be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. The muscle in my shoulder (just behind my collar bone) is permanently is spasm and the physio cannot get the spasm out, she has also tried acupuncture as well as the Kinesio taping method, but this does not seem to be helping. What is the best type of specialist to treat TOS? Would it be a Cardiothoracic Specialist or an Orthopedic Specialist, or another type of specialist?

Thank you for your time!
Answer 403 views
Shoulder Doc
Shoulder Doc

01 Jan 0001

Dear Hannah, from what you tell me it sounds as if your physio is correct - congratulate her from me!

look at our website ( and at "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome" - you may find some interesting info there.

Your question about whom to see is very relevant: I see many paients in my shoulder practice with this condition because the referring doctor may have thought that it was a shoulder joint problem. The person i refer them to is a thoracic surgeon with a special interest in this condition. I am not sure where you are in the country, but if not in Cape Town you may phone our specialist ( his details are on the website article) and ask them for a name of a doctor in your area

All the best,
Dr Joe de Beer
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.