Ask an expert

28 Aug 2007

Daughter 17 does not want to move
I've got a major problem. My husband has been offered an exellent job in the city and is one we cant refuse. For years we've been struggling just to get by and now is the chance for a new life and a new beginning. My teenage daughter 17 does not think so however. She does'nt want to move with us because of the boyfriend and friends. She is currently enrolled for Intec Matric and does not attend school. She is very strongwilled and is now seeking for a place to stay. If my husband takes this job it will mean that she will be able to go study next year which under our current circumstances would not have been possible. Not even that fact can get her mind changed. She feels that she can live here in town with the boyfriend and go further her studies then because then he will be able to move as well. I personally don't even like this guy and this is the whole scenario of giving it all up for the boyfriend. I have told her that I will take away all financial support and that does not even bother her. I don't know what to do anymore, because nothing I have tried works. She is committed on staying and I'm comitted on going. We will be moving a three hours drive away from our home town. Please Help!!! I've prayed and prayed and prayed, because I feel that is the only way how I will get her to come with us.
Answer 403 views
Teen expert
teen expert

01 Jan 0001

As difficult as the situation is, if there are no family members or trusted friends of yours that she can live with, she does need to move with you, given your circumstances.

Legally she is still a minor and until 18 is your responsibility. She can try and refuse but if the situation escalates and she refuses to physically move with you, you may need to involve the police - as legally she has to comply with your wishes. This is far from ideal, but if she will not have a conversation with you about it then you may be left with little option.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19332 votes