Ask an expert

18 Oct 2009

how to find help
I really am wriiting for a friend who is in a bit of a difficult marriage in that she loves her husband but has no physical attraction to him and as a result, has no desire to have sex with him. the issue is that she wants kids and is nearing menopause.
she lives in JHB area.
How can she find someone to speak to? I suggested they go for counselling but want to give her phone numbers of people she can talk to.
Answer 328 views
Ageing and Sexuality expert
Ageing and Sexuality expert

01 Jan 0001

I wonder how your friend has managed this situation up until now..? Nearing menopause and wanting a child? If she is this age- near 50 years - having a child for the first time carries risks.. is she aware of this??
I suggest ,as you have , that she go for counselling. Call an organisation called South African Association of Social Workers in Private Practice(SAASWP). Their head office is in JHB and they will refer her to appropriate person close by where your friend lives.
And truth is that unfortunately there is no drug nor therapy that can get a person to find someone sexually attractive - love goes a long way in enabling people to live together and even having sex - but over time it may not be sustainable . Or perhaps she now wants to feel the lust she never has with her husband. Encourage her to call SAASWP.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.