Ask an expert

06 Jul 2010

Pigmentation post 60
Good day. Thank you for your reply on my post before. You provided me with a few options. Who is the best person to assist me in differentiating between pigmentation caused by sun/ exposure vs hormonal? I do not come in the sun much however I did when I was still a kid and might that have caused it? Also if I do go for IPL or then fractional skin resurfacing who can I contact for this?
Thank you again for your time.
Answer 313 views
Anti-ageing expert
anti-ageing expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Hestia, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner with a special interest in pigmentation. I may be able to refer you to someone I know but please let me know in which city you live so that I can send you to the closest doctor.

Typically Melasma presents with the following:
Large areas of pigmentation
Well defined border
Predominantly on cheeks and upper lip
Related to hormonal changes such as the contraceptive pill/injectable or pregnancy
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes