Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
- Sleep disorders expert
27 Jul 2005
abberant right subclavian artery
I need a cardiologist or surgeon to see my sister. I am having a difficult time with the doctor's acknowledging that this is causing problems. Now she is taking only baby food and she can feel the coldness alll through the thoracic area and the breast bone. She has tried three different gastric medications with no relief, only gives her a stiff neck and stomach is getting worse! Please help us with how to pursue this and get to the real problem.
Your sister’s problem may be caused by a number of pathologies. One of the biggest pitfalls in medicine is what we call “labelling” – what this means is that just because a patient is known to have a certain problem, it does not necessarily follow that IT, and ONLY IT, is the cause of all other subsequent problems, and that the doctor therefore stops searching for a cause of the patient’s ongoing symptoms. What I’m saying to you is this : yes, get your sister seen by a vascular or cardiothoracic surgeon. But, if they say that the aberrant artery is not causing her symptoms ( and it really should not), then please get her to a reputable gastro-enterologist. If she is having problems with getting food down, then she has most likely an oesophageal problem, and these are the field of a gastro-enterologist. She needs help urgently, before complicatiopns arise.
Good luck with this. I would appreciate you letting me know how your sister is doing, by accessing this forum again.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- 'I've seen the worst of Aids, TB, but nothing compares to Covid' - a community health worker's story
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Some patients experience post-traumatic stress disorder after severe Covid-19
- How not having a set bedtime may affect your mental health
- New study shows how speaking while infected with Covid-19 can potentially spread the virus
- The ANC may need to destroy itself to rid SA of state capture, analyst says
- INTERVIEW | Woolworths clothes were boring and overpriced, but good food 'still its birthright'
- EXPLAINED | Unfit to stand trial insight amid furore over anti-lockdown protester
- OPINION | National Minimum Wage - even more of a tightrope walk after Covid-19
- Adriaan Basson | The people of Gqeberha deserve more than a new name from the ANC
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19345 votes