Ask an expert

25 Jul 2005

How can I stop from overswinging or how can I prevent my left arm bending
Answer 372 views
Golf coach

01 Jan 0001

To Stop Overswing at the top of your backswing check to make sure that :

1 - Both eyes can see the ball (close your eye farthest from the target to test this)
2 - The spine angle is still relatively vertical from the face-on view, definitely not leaning toward the target
3 - Your weight is noticeably heavier on your rear leg and that your rear knee maintains at least some degree of flexion - also that the knee has not moved to a position, nor points in a direction, outside the foot
4 - The lever arm (left arm for right-handers) is relatively extended (not to say tense/rigid) rather than collapsed or severely bent at the elbow
5 - The hands and wrists are under control - make sure the fingers of the lever arm hand have not opened and that the butt end of the grip is still in contact with the fleshy "karate chop" pad of the hand. Make sure, also, that the wrist is not dramatically cupped (back of hand bent back toward top of forearm) - for most people who are not double-jointed the angle between the shaft and the lever arm should not exceed 90 degrees - at least not by much

If those check points are met it is not possible to overswing
Your left arm should never break down so that you must straighten it again at impact. Keep your left arm straight (not locked, just straight) all the way through from takeaway to impact. If you can not keep your left arm straight at the top of your backswing, you are taking your hands too far back. If you find you are having problems getting to the correct position at the top of the backswing without breaking down your left arm, you are probably not rotating your shoulders correctly and/or your hands are too low. At the top of the backswing, enure your left shoulder is over your right knee and your right arm is in the 'waiter position'. That is wrist, elbows and shoulder are all at 90*.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.