Ask an expert

17 Apr 2006

blood test for coeliac disease
Dear Doctor,
I have been diagnosed with a dermatitis that apparently only
occurs as a result of gluten-sensitivity.It is,however so severe
that I cannot even eat anything with as much as "traces of gluten".My dermatologist is not sure if it is as a result of coeliac disease and asked for an IgATT test.The lab however did not do
the test and did everything else-full blood count etc. Is it not
available in SA or are there only specific labs that do this test?
Where can I get more information on this?
Thank you . Fedup
Answer 1,637 views

01 Jan 0001

The gold standard of diagnosis for Celiak disease is still the small bowel mucosa biopsy. However serological tests are available - IgA antitransglutaminase and IgA antiendomysial antibodies. These tests can be done in South Africa. It is done at the Du Buisson laboratory in Gauteng/Pretoria. I don't know your location, but if there is a PathCare lab close to you they will send the specimen to Du Buisson for you. This needs to be organised with the lab though as it has to go on ice.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19950 votes