Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
21 Feb 2004
My elderly mother has been informed that her bone marrow is no longer functioning and consequently has to have regular blood transfusions. She now has this continual irritation all over her body, however there is no rash. She says it is itchy from inside, but she scratches herself until she bleeds and nothing applied to the skin gives her any relief. Is this due to the non-functioning bone marrow? If so, is there anything she can take to relieve this?
It could be the cause. However there are other causes of pruritis(itching). You should consult your GP. A thorough clinical examination is necessary and further blood tests may also be indicated.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Mixing Pfizer and AstraZeneca Covid vaccines increases mild side effects, early results show
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- EXPLAINER | 5 things you need to know about phase two vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- Tributes pour in for Durban Metro officer who died while diving
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20322 votes