Ask an expert

24 Nov 2005

Chest/Throat pain
I recently inhaled a rat poison by mistake and have started experiencing chest pains which become worse when I swallow something....
Answer 430 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Scared,

Please contact your nearest Poisons Control Centre. You need to know exactly what poison it was, so that you can be told of what the possible after-effects can be. It is possible that you have damaged your oesophagus, and may need treatment urgently.

Most large cities have a Poison control centre – check in your phone directory. Otherwise you can contact your GP, or the nearest large state or private hospital for the information.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.