Ask an expert

25 Feb 2004

Cholestrol Lowering
How can one lower their bad cholestrol, increase their good cholestrol and how long does it take to get within reasonable levels. Thanks for advising.
Answer 387 views

01 Jan 0001

Cholesterol lowering depends on a few factors. Cholesterol comes from two places, your diet and your liver. The cholesterol from your diet you can control effectively with certain nutritional changes; but the cholesterol made by your liver depends on whether you have a high genetic (family) tendancy to make cholesterol or not. If you have a family history of high cholesterol I recommend that you have a detailed check on the different forms of cholesterol your body is making and from there your doctor can recommend specific medication to help control the problem ones. If you have no history of high cholesterol then it is a lot easier to bring your cholesterol down with the use of nutrition, exercise and relaxation. It is important to control the bad fats - these are butter, cream, margarine, fried oils, fatty meats, and dairy foods - keep these as low and infrequent in your eating habits, rather choose cold-pressed olive oil, lean meats, fish, nuts and seed oils they contain the healthier fats. It is vital to eat enough fibre foods such as fruit, vegetables, unrefined wholegrains - the fibre helps to absorb excess fats and cholesterol in the intestines and remove them from the body. One of the best snack foods for you to have daily is oat bran cookies/muffins or a daily porrige of oat bran - this has been found to reduce cholesterol as effectively as cholesterol medication. It is also a good idea to supplement with a good B complex supplement and about 50-100 mg of Vitamin B3(niacin) daily - this will help to reduce the bad cholesterol (LDL). A moderate regular exercise program is also important such as daily walking of about 3-5km, and ensure that you make time to relax daily with proper rest and sleep.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19320 votes