Ask an expert

28 Jul 2005

Dislocated shoulder
My boyfriend dislocated his shoulder about 6 months ago and he is still experiencing pain in that shoulder. Any idea of what the problem may be? He has been seeing a physiotherapist, but it's not really helping. Will he need to have surgery?
Answer 413 views
Rehabilitation after injury

01 Jan 0001

Dear Meraai

It may be a good idea to see an orthopaedic surgeon (specialising in shoulders) to assess the shoulder - s/he will decide whether or not your boyfriend needs surgery. The Orthopaedic surgeon will also let him know what type of treatment he needs - perhaps he needs biokinetic treatment rather than physiotherapy. If your boyfriend needs to see a physiotherapist, perhaps it is a good idea to see one who specialises in shoulder injuries. It is always a good idea to get a second opinion if you are not happy with a diagnosis or treatment.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes