Ask an expert

23 Jul 2005

don't know what to do?
it was about 5 years ago that an incident happened. i dropped a dumbell on my right big toe and it bled a little but not to the point that my nail would call off. the next week i started a swimming class at my high school pool.. then i started noticing that in a certain section the upper right portion of the nail started looking discolored almost in the same area of the indcident. i later had a physical three years laterand asked my doctor asked what happened and lost the pills. the doctor said it fungus. but now five years later the fungus has progressed. my toe nail now is half ways discolored, and just recently started hurting. as i was cutting the toe nail i noticed at the infected part of the nail the meat of the toe is no longer intact with the nail. what do i do to fix the infected area?
Answer 375 views
Foot expert

01 Jan 0001

You need to go to a podiatrist (call the South African Podiatry assn 0861 100 249)
and ask for a podiatrist near you and they will be able to treat you quite easily
If there are no podiatrists near you then go to a dermatologist
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.