Ask an expert

01 Nov 2006

Eisen Syndrome
Im just back from a visit to a general practitioner who diagnosed me with some Eisen.... (something) syndrome. The ultra sound showed a leakage in my heart and he said it can be fixed with laser. What is this syndrome and can a hole in my heart be fixed with laser?!?
Answer 512 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Izzy,

Something is very wrong here. Either you have misunderstood what your GP said, or your GP has made a huge mistake.

A leak or hole in the heart means that there is an abnormal opening allowing the left and right sides of the heart to communicate, instead of being totally separate, as they should be. During each contraction, a jet of blood will thus pass from one chamber into the other, usually from left to right side, according to whichever side has the highest pressure. This is an ABNORMAL situation. If the leak is significant, and remains unfixed, then over the years it will become worse, until eventually the heart starts to battle, and the lung pressures increase. Eventually, the direction of flow in the communicating opening becomes reversed, (due to pressure changes )and blood is then shunted from right to left. At this stage the patient is in severe heart failure, and blue, due to inadequate oxygen. :THIS IS THE EISENMENGER SYNDROME, AND IT IS INCURABLE SURGICALLY.

No GP has the expertise to conduct a proper cardiac ultrasound, or interpret the findings. Holes in the heart cannot be fixed with lasers. If you really do have an Eisenmenger’s syndrome, then there is no surgical cure possible.

Izzy, I cannot stress this enough – go to a reputable cardiologist, now. If there is any suggestion of a heart problem, then this is not for a GP to manage. Cardiac problems must be assessed and treated by cardiologists, or cardiac surgeons, if there is a surgical cure possible (eg valve replacement, bypass grafts) If your GP is reluctant to arrange this for you, then I suggest you consider finding another GP !!!

Good luck.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.