Ask an expert

22 Jul 2005

Floppy heartvelve syndrome
I was diagnosed with floppy heartvalve syndrome.
I would like to know if this is a serious condition and will it be necessary for an operation later?
I do sometimes get heart pulpitations and are short of breath.
I am 36 years young.
Answer 414 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Sussie,

The condition is also known as Barlows syndrome, and is quite common. A percentage of patients do develop a leaky valve after several years, and this may need surgery. In the meantime, your cardiologist will manage the condition with medication.

It is important that you go for regular checkups, to monitor the function of your valve. This will probably be done by regular echo-cardiograms, a form of ultrasound.

If you would like more information on the condition, try the Mayo Clinic website at : this is a site dedicated to patient information, and is written in plain English.

Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9426 votes
68% - 19891 votes