Ask an expert

04 Dec 2005

fribulating heart
Hi, i was diagnosed with a fribulating heart 11 months ago and referred to cardio: as yet i have not heard anything from them could you explain what this condition is and if i should be concerned.
Answer 1,285 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Loopy,

I assume you mean fibrillation : this is a condition in which the rhythm of the atria has become totally irregular and ineffective, leaving only the ventricles with a regular contracting rhythm. You should have been put on anticoagulants, and you should have been seen by a cardiologist very soon thereafter.If you are still fibrillating, then you must see a cardiologist urgently. He will be able to plan a treatment to try to get you back into normal rhythm again, although it may be too late by now.

There are many dangers and possible complications if the condition is left untreated, so please try to get to a cardiologist as soon as possible.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.