Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
15 Jan 2004
Full Blood Count
When the labs do a "full blood count", what exactly does that mean. What do they look for, and what "abnormalities" can they pick up in this test?
A full blood count means that one looks at the 3 cell types present in blood - red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. The test looks at the values (normal, increased or decreased) of these cells as well as the morphology (in other words do they look normal or abnormal). The abnormalities include specific and non specific changes as well as cancer of the blood. The test must be interpreted in conjunction with clinical findings.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes