Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
11 Apr 2006
my son is 28 years old and a very large frame young man. he weighs about 270 pounds and is 6'2" tall. His heart rate even when resting is around 110 to 112 to 117 I am very worried about him. His daddy had a heart attack and 3 by-passes then had 3 stints, his uncle died at age 43 from a sudden heart attack. His grandparents died 9 months apart with both having heart attacks and my father died at age 67 from a massive heart attack. Also just last week the uncle that died at 43 (his son now age 43 had a heart attack with lots of muscle damage. I have made my son an appoinment with his Dad's cardiologist. Was I right to be afraid for him???
Yes, I think it is wise to have your sons examined by a cardiologist. He has a stroing family history and is thus at risk.
Using the height and weight you quote, his BMI works out at 34.5 – that is very obese. That alone gives him a huge risk, but combined with his raised pulse rate and history, his risk is great indeed.
You are doing the right thing to get him to a cardiologist before he runs into trouble.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Phone call anxiety: Why so many of us have it, and how to get over it
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Multiple studies find unique risks of heart disease and stroke for women
- Prof Shabir Madhi 'mortified' at decision on AstraZeneca vaccine, says it might expire
- Splitting up the pot: Steinhoff offers 5.5% payout to market purchase claimants to settle
- Glencore 'used relationship' with Ramaphosa to 'extort' Eskom, former CEO Brian Molefe claims
- Meet SA's youngest doctor, Thakgalo Thibela, 21
- Karyn Maughan | 'Our hands are tied' - JSC after calls for Hlophe's suspension over Bongo acquittal
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes