Ask an expert

19 Apr 2006

Heart transplant surgery
How do I go about requesting heart transplant surgery for my father. He is currently 69 years of age, had 2 bypass surgeries, stent and balloon. He is currently very ill, and at the last angiogram the cardiologist said that the vein that is blocked can not be bypassed or opened with a stent. They performed an angio plasty procedure and it worked for one and a half year. His condition is starting get worse again. It seems as if heart transplant is a last option ?
Answer 370 views
momentum expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Antoinette
The academic hospitals have transplant units, as well as Unitas hospital, N1 city hospital, - ask your father's' cardiologist to refer him to a centre.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19420 votes