Ask an expert

25 Jul 2005

I often have a problem breathing and my heart aches constantly. But im too scared to go to the doctor about it as im afraid of what they might say. What should i do and what do you think it might be. i am a smoker and drinker nut occasionally
Answer 369 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Claude,

I understand that no-one wants to hear bad news, but you can’t bury your head in the sand forever. If you really do have something wrong, then putting off going to the doctor will only permit the problem to worsen, perhaps to the stage where there is little that can be done for you.

As you are a smoker, the most likely thing is that you have some sort of lung problem. There is no medical problem that is not improved by stopping smoking. Deciding to quit smoking is the most mature and responsible decision anyone can make : I’ve said my piece, now its over to you.

Claude, please get to a doctor. After a checkup and maybe a chest x-ray, you may be surprised to hear that there may be nothing seriously wrong at all, just a mild infection or something like that, but please do get it checked out.

Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.