Ask an expert

20 Nov 2004

How do I know when I am about to approach the menopause?
I am 39 years old and curious to know about the blood test I can have to determine whether or not I am approaching the menopause.

What is it called? How much does it cost? Do I need a doctor's referral to have this test, even if I pay for it myself?

Is it true that it can only be done on Day 3 of my period?
Answer 363 views

01 Jan 0001

The diagnosis of menopause is based on symptoms of menopouse. Your GP or gynae will take a full history and examine you. If necessary a blood test for hormone levels can be done to confirm the clinical diagnosis. You need to be referred by a doctor for this test. The cost depends on whether the full hormonal profile is done or only selected hormone levels.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.