Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Apr 2006
hypertension admission to hospital leads to test to rule out a tumor
now under care of a physician who ordered a 24 hour urine test for cortisol levels while in hospital, apparantely levels were VERY high and when all results are back at the end of 2 weeks it will either rule in or out a possible adrenal gland tumor? hence the very high bp spikes. also other factors involved apparantely. thank you for advising me to seek urgent specialist attention. feeling very scared as it seems this is a very serious condition? could this turn out to be cancer?
I’m glad you are in the care of a specialist physician. Tumours of the adrenal gland can secrete excessive amounts of cortisol, which can cause, amongst other things, spikes in blood pressure. There are other disorders which can cause episodic blood pressure rises, and these your physician will systematically eliminate with tests and investigations. Some of these conditions do qualify for the term “cancer” in the sense that they seem to operate independently from the body’s normal control mechanisms. Please remember that these conditions are very rare, but they are treatable. The most important thing is that you are being investigated properly, and therefore should do very well.
Please let me know the result of the tests if you can – I really would be interested to follow this up with you.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- High Court judge caught up in maintenance tug of war between ex-husband and daughter
- OPINION | Bavuma captaincy might be a gamble, but it's one worth taking
- Covid-19: Govt says new variants are inevitable, but hopes they will be less ‘lethal’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9378 votes
67% - 19423 votes