Ask an expert

17 Jul 2006

injured neck in car accident
I was in an car accident about a year and half back and since then I am struggeling with my neck and shoulder, it pains on a almost permanent basis, i use pain killers, but am affraid to get too used to pills, what else can I try?? Please help me??? I am 20 years old
Answer 393 views
rehabilitation after injury

01 Jan 0001

Hi Nickie

Firstly if you have not had any special investigations such as an MRI or an X-Ray to see exactly what is causing the pain, then I would suggest you do so as soon as possible. Once you know what is causing the pain, you will be able to treat it safely and effectively. You also need to distinguish what type of pain you are experiencing. I.e. is it a sharp shooting pain, or a more dull and achy pain as well as if you experience any associated numbness or pins and needles referred to any other part of your body. All these symptoms will help the therapist determine what the problem may be. I would suggest that you see firstly a specialist physician to attain a diagnosis as to what may be causing the pain, as well as to rule out possible fracture or disc pathology. Thereafter I would suggest that you see either a biokineticist and or a physiotherapist to help correct a particular weakness or compensation that may have occurred as a result of the injury. All the best!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9519 votes
69% - 20838 votes