Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Jul 2005
Is this normal for my age, could this be heart dicease?
Since I can remember I have been unfit, very unfit, I went for a fitness test the other day and I found out that the 67 year old next to me is more fit than I am. I am only 21! I did modern dance for almost 12 years and ever then I got tired easily, I don’t have any heart problems that I know of, but heart disease is in my family, I have tried to get fit, but even after a year of bike riding I still cant seem to ride for longer that 10 minute. Any reasons why, could this be heart discease
It sounds as though you should see a cardiologist. Remember, that just because you danced for an hour or so very week, that does not make you fit. You may be “dance-fit”, in that you can complete the classes, but that is insufficient to really get you fit unless you do it for a few hours a week, and then very strenuously.
As you have a family history of heart problems, please see a cardiologist, and if is satisfied that you have no underlying problems, then he can refer you to a reputable trainer for an approved fitness training program.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes