Ask an expert

17 Dec 2004

Knee problems
Hi Dr. Lander,

In October last year I twisted my knee as I got into the car, it has been severly painfull ever since. My symptoms are as follows:

It aches and I cant keep it bent, it helps if I stretch it out by walking. What type of Dr would you recommend me to see. I am not sure if it is muscular or bone. Also, I work out at the gym, is there anything that will help, and or make it worse.

Thanks in advance for your reply,


Answer 433 views
rehabilitation after injury

01 Jan 0001

From what you say it is difficult to make a diagnosis without a more thorough history and examination, but it could be a ligament or meniscal injury. It would be in your best interests to go and see a knee specialist or sports medicine doctor to obtain an accurate diagnosis and then visit a biokineticist to get advice on the kinds of exercise you may or may not do. Let pain be your guide for now and avoid any activities that aggravate your discomfort.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9422 votes
68% - 19857 votes