Ask an expert

27 Jul 2006

MVA fractured bones
I fractured my both femur, both tibia fibula,multiple rib fractures with lung contusion and left radius ulna. How fortunate am I to live? What should I do to expedite rehabilitation?
Answer 350 views
rehabilitation after injury

01 Jan 0001

Dear Herman.

Firstly, with fractures you want to minimize movement initially to provide support and stability to the healing bone. During this period ,which may last anything from 8 weeks to 6 months, therefore you need to limit the amount of impact and loading that the bones receive. This is usually done through the use of casts and or braces. Once the casts have been removed, you will need to begin with low intensity loading, preferably in an aquatic environment which will be safe, yet effective in providing constant resistance and stimulation to the healing bones. Light stretching of the muscles and connective tissue as well as mobilization exercises will prevent shortening of these structures and help to increase circulation to encourage further healing. After this you can progress to land based exercises, which will need to consist of both open chain exercises which will isolate and strengthen muscle groups which may have atrophied during the period of rest, as well as closed chain exercises which will load the joints and bones, and encourage co-contraction of the muscles around these joints. These exercises will help to encourage bone deposition to strengthen the healing bones. You will also need to be given specific exercises to ensure that the stability of both your shoulder and pelvic girdles are intact. Instability in theses areas can lead to many secondary injuries if exercises are not done properly and with the correct biomechanics and posture. I suggest that you see a biokineticist who can design an appropriate rehabilitation programme for you, which will incorporate the above mentioned rehabilitation principles and goals. All the best!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.