Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
- Sleep disorders expert
07 Apr 2006
Pains on left side
Im 22 and healthy (except for eating junk food now and again) Ive suffered for some time now with a sharp pain on my left side of my chest. It only happens now and again, not often at all.. its as if im being stabbed, its painful and difficult to breathe in. It feels like its by my heart and in my ribs. I hav to wait for about a minute taking in very tiny breaths before it goes away. Ive always just thought that its a stitch? But it can come when im just lying in bed relaxing. Its really weird. Do u know what it is, is it just a strange stitch or maybe something worst?
I’m not sure exactly what you have got – it is most likely a muscular spasm or “stitch” as you call it. But I’m also almost certain that it is not a heart condition.
Remember that heart pain is usually felt in the centre of the chest as a heavy crushing pain, worse with exercise, relieved by rest, often associated with shortness of breath, fast pulse, sweating, faintness, even nausea, or pains up to the jaw and down the left arm. This is serious pain indeed. Your pain, whilst very uncomfortable for you, seems fleeting by comparison, and you do not mention associated symptoms.
In the absence of being able to examine you or do an ECG, I would have to say that you are probably in good health, and have just a sort of “stitch” which is your own diagnosis. If the pain persists, or becomes worse or more frequent, then please do consult your doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- How not having a set bedtime may affect your mental health
- Some patients experience post-traumatic stress disorder after severe Covid-19
- 'I've seen the worst of Aids, TB, but nothing compares to Covid' - a community health worker's story
- Covid: A distorted sense of smell is dangerous but treatable
- EXPLAINER | Lockdown: Why it's safe to move to Level 1, and when could we see next wave?
- Koko 'angered' that Eskom info was leaked through him to Gupta-linked email address
- The ANC may need to destroy itself to rid SA of state capture, analyst says
- INTERVIEW | Woolworths clothes were boring and overpriced, but good food 'still its birthright'
- EXPLAINED | Unfit to stand trial insight amid furore over anti-lockdown protester
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19352 votes