Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Nov 2006
For some time now, i would climb one flight of stairs and have my heart beating out of my chest. I try to eat healthily and started going to the gym recently, will this help? Why do i get these palpitations in the first place? I am only 19 years old.
There are many possible causes for this. You may have simply a very fast pulse when you exercise because you are still unfit, and this should improve as you become more fit.
Palpitations are usually bursts of irregular pulse activity, which can happen even with the person at rest, so I cannot be sure that what you describe is “palpitations”, but more likely a normal response to exercise.
However, if you experience any other symptoms at the gym, or if the problem persists, then you will have to be examined by a doctor. You may have a heart problem, or a metabolic problem needing blood tests. Smoking will make this a lot worse, so please stop right now If you are a smoker. It is in any case totally senseless to go to a gym, and still carry on smoking.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Covid-19: is obesity really more of a risk factor for men than women?
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20303 votes