Ask an expert

25 Jul 2006

Dear Doc
I need a referral for my father. He has had a triple heart bypass in 1999 and two aorta transplants (1991 and 2000). He needs a thorough check-up. I would like him to see a specialist in the JHB area - a good one.
If you can also do referrals for Pulmnologists in this area I'll appreciate it.
Answer 345 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Dee,

It is usual for a patient to be followed up by the specialist who has performed the surgery, as he is the most familiar with the patient and his problem. I gather that there is a reason for this not being desired or possible.

Unfortunately I do not live in that area, so do not know any of the specialists. It would in any case be unprofessional and unethical for me to recommend by name any practitioner on a public forum such as this.

Your best bet would be to ask your local GP, and a few other GPs, or even friends, “Who is the best and busiest cardiac surgeon in this town?” If one name keeps coming up, go to that cardiac surgeon. Alternatively, you could ask your GP to refer your Dad to the nearest large teaching hospital – preferably one affiliated to a medical school. Here you are likely to get the services of not only highly trained surgeons, but also the input of the more senior consultants.

I hope all is well with your Dad.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19330 votes